Happy New Year!
I’m definitely one of those “new year new me” people. Not sorry. I love the end of the year when I can look back on what all I’ve accomplished and think about what else I want to do. I may be 3 days late, but here is a quick recap of my 2017:
I got a promotion at my job. I went from a part time freelance artist to a permanent full time artist. And although my job gets very annoying and sometimes I really don’t love it, I’m thankful for all that I’ve learned since I’ve been here and I’m so glad I get to be a part of such a fun, loving team.
I moved in with my boyfriend in March, and in December we celebrated our one year anniversary! We also got photos taken which was my first time getting professional pictures of myself since I was like, 8.
I found someone who was able to fix my hair. I know I haven’t mentioned it on this blog yet, but my hair is an eternal struggle. I have never liked my hair for more than two days at a time. It’s naturally a medium brown, and I’ve colored it every color under the sun. Including teal. But a year and a half ago I went blonde, and it’s been brassy ever since. I could never get it as ashy as I wanted. And then I found Patty.
I did a lot more freelance work, which is really all I want to do. But I’m figuring out how to market myself and book jobs and it’s been one hell of a learning experience but I’m getting the hang of it.
I bought a new MacBook Pro! Okay fine, I did this on January 1st. But I’ve been planning for it since September, so to me, it was a 2017 feat. But let me tell you, I have had the same MacBook since 2011. Love it, but it was starting to feel like a fossil. It still works, it’s just very slow and crashes when I switch photos in the Photos app too quickly. So it was time for an upgrade.
I lost 65 pounds since August 2016. I don’t have an exact start date, and I didn’t weigh myself regularly so I don’t know what I started 2017 at. But I know my highest weight was around 220 pounds and now I’m 156.
So what’s to come in 2018?
- Definitely more focus on fitness and good food. I lost all the weight by eating less, not eating better, and I definitely didn’t lose any of it by working out. I joined a gym in October which has been cool. I really don’t mind working out. But in 2018 I want to get fit and start lifting. My goal weight is probably around 120-130 pounds, but we’ll see what happens when I start gaining muscle. I’ve been tracking every calorie I eat and I’ve gotten rid of most of the junk in my house. We got a Nutribullet for Christmas so I’ve been making fruit smoothies for breakfast.
- Keeping up with my bullet journal. I’ve tried a bullet journal on and off for a few months since regular planners just don’t really do it for me. This year I’m ready and I’m excited to have a log of everything that happens this year.
- Reading regularly. I’m aiming for at least 30 minutes at a time, 3x per week. I want to read about a book per month. I think I’m going to start with House of Leaves. It’s currently /r/bookclub’s book so I want to participate.
- Starting a YouTube channel and growing my instagram. I got a ring light a few months ago and I make mini videos that I put on IG and people always comment saying I should make a YouTube. I’ve always wanted to but I’m nervous that people will just leave mean comments. But I’m going to give it a shot.
- Continue freelancing more. I’d like to basically double my income by freelancing. I made a facebook page dedicated to my artistry, and I made a website a few months ago. It’s been working, too. Someone texted me this morning asking if I’m available to do her wedding in March. I did an engagement photo shoot in November from someone that just found me on instagram and then clicked the link to my website in my bio. I can definitely do this, I just have to be proactive about it.
My 2018 quote of the year is “Don’t let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway.”
I think New Years Resolutions are totally achievable, you just need to break them down into action items. Yes, I would love to read a book a month – it’s been on my resolution list for the last three years. But what is actually going to make that resolution a reality is reading for at least 30 minutes at a time a few times per week. I’ve wanted to grow my instagram but what’s making it happen was investing in a ring light, posting more consistently, commenting on other people’s posts, and paying attention to which hashtags get me more engagement.
What are your goals for 2018? How are you going to make them happen?